Assistant Scientific Officer – Omagh.
Assistant Scientific Officer – Omagh
January 24, 2023
Assistant Scientific Officer
£11.70 per hour
- Collection, checking and log on of samples from the post mortem room, recording any non-conformances and alerting the Lab Manager.
- Prepare histological worksheets and transfer sheets and cross-check these carefully before cassettes are sent in approved containers on agreed days. Emailing advance lists (transfer sheets) of case and related cassette numbers to nominated colleagues. Update log books on a daily basis.
- Upon return of the prepared stained slides, check each case / slides received against the transfer sheet and update the records. The slides are sent with the associated worksheet to the case promptly. Any non-conformances to be raised with the section manager.
- Ability to work as part of a team delivering diagnostic results within specific time schedules.
- Adherence to health and safety regulations for histological and bacteriological laboratories
- Maintenance of laboratory records. This involves working with Excel spreadsheets, scanning, filing and emailing paperwork to clients. Monitoring and maintenance of records and storage systems e.g. Autoclave log, waste disposal records etc.
- Autoclaving and disposal of laboratory waste with responsibility for routine cleanliness in the work area.
- Maintenance of stocks of consumables and chemicals in the laboratory by informing the section manager or from ‘in house’ stores.
- Following training, assist when required in other work areas including bacteriology, parasitology, reception and telephone answering
You will have:
A minimum of 5 GCSE’s including a science subject
A general science background would be beneficial
Experience of working in a laboratory environment would be beneficial
Effective communication skills
Ability to work as part of a team
Ability to work flexible working hours