Senior AWS Software Engineer – Moveable Transactions.
- £400 - £450 per day
Senior AWS Software Engineer – Moveable Transactions
- £400 - £450 per day
August 23, 2023
We are seeking an adept software engineer with a strong background in AWS development for commercial projects. This individual will play a collaborative role in crafting new registries for Mobile Transactions. This initiative is a part of an agile development collective within Registers of Scotland’s Other Registers sector.
About the Division and Team
Registers of Scotland (RoS) is responsible for the creation, management, and operation of 20 public registries. These encompass not only renowned property registries like the Land Register and Sasines but also registers related to individuals, laws, and documents. To align with fresh legislation focused on reforming Moveable Transactions, the Scottish Government has proposed two digital registries:
- Registry of Assignations – Facilitating the transfer of claims, such as invoices or rent.
- Registry of Statutory Pledges – Supporting securities linked to tangible (e.g., vehicles, whiskey, livestock) and intangible (e.g., copyright, trademarks, patents) movable assets
RoS aims to gain deeper insights into the challenges, scope, and potential solutions for these novel registries. To achieve this, a specialized team will explore various options and opportunities. As the legislation evolves, the team’s size is expected to increase substantially to manage the design and implementation of the new registries
Our current approach adopts a hybrid work model, available exclusively within the UK. On-site collaboration will be determined by project and team necessities. Team activities are envisioned to occur at either the Meadowbank House office in Edinburgh or St. Vincent Plaza in Glasgow for a portion of each week.
Principal Goals and Objectives
- Collaborate with the product and development teams to introduce novel features and support user testing during the private beta phase. This is aimed at refining and enhancing existing functionalities across both ROA and RSP registries.
- Partner with the development team and departments across the organization to ensure products are production-ready, secure, and capable of effective support.
- Contribute to the development of customer-facing APIs in conjunction with architecture and development teams.
- Exhibit exemplary, sustainable, and cooperative software development practices, prioritizing the creation of readable, maintainable, and fitting deliverables.
- Enhance and sustain high-quality support procedures, dashboards, monitoring systems, and deployment capabilities to enable continuous service improvement based on feedback.
- Actively participate in team events, taking a leadership role when specialized knowledge is needed, and support process enhancement through inspection and adaptation.
- Engage with broader RoS communities to share knowledge, methodologies, and experiences.
- Uphold solution quality by creating and maintaining unit tests, ensuring adequate code coverage, and employing code quality tools.
- Ensure developed software aligns with non-functional requirements, encompassing aspects like accessibility, security, UI/UX, performance, maintainability, and deployability.
- Diagnose issues in development and production environments across various platforms.
- Regularly employ collaborative development practices such as pairing, mobbing, code reviews, system design, and requirement analysis/refinement.
Offer coaching and mentorship to team members as appropriate.
Certain aspects of these contributions might need to extend beyond RoS’ standard operational hours (07:30-17:30) to ensure uninterrupted service. The chosen provider is expected to plan and manage their work hours accordingly.
Essential Qualifications & Experience
Substantial commercial proficiency in the following technologies:
- AWS, including: o Cloud Development Kit (CDK)
o Serverless Architecture (Lambda) o Amazon S3
o API Gateway
- Profound HTML / CSS skills coupled with an awareness of accessibility considerations
Extensive and demonstrable experience in the following domains:
- Collaborative software development with team members.
- Skill in interacting with stakeholders from diverse business areas such as Product Management, Service Design, and Operations, grasping context and requirements.
- Experience adhering to quality standards like GDS or Digital First.
- Design and implementation of solutions utilizing service-based and serverless architectures.
- Proficient communication using written, verbal, and visual means to concisely elucidate complex subjects to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Expertise in cloud monitoring, telemetry, intelligence tools, and processes, encompassing Grafana.
- Familiarity with Agile delivery models such as Scrum and/or Kanban frameworks.
- Formal Extreme Programming (XP) engineering techniques.
Defining infrastructure through code.
Desirable Qualifications & Experience
Commercial experience in the following:
- Inclusive design practices rooted in human-centered, research-driven methodologies.
- Testing tools and frameworks, e.g., Cypress.
* Utilizing UI pattern libraries for consistent, thoroughly tested, and high-quality interfaces.
The Recruitment Co. is an equal opportunities employer and we’re committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace.