September 27, 2023
Our client, based in Stormont is looking for a Laboratory Assistant to join their team
– The work programme of Bacteriology Branch includes statutory, analytical and research work on the major bacterial pathogens of animal and public health significance
– The post may involve the handing of potential infectious materials. Staff may be required to undergo occupational vaccination according to the nature of the work being undertaken. Personal Protective Equipment and relevant training will be provided.
– This SGB2 post will provide essential support for the work programme of Veterinary Sciences Division to produce laboratory media that is used for statutory, analytical and research work on the major bacterial pathogens of animal and public health significance. The work is either certified to ISO9001 or accredited to ISO17025, which requires officers to have a stable, structured, recorded and audited approach to training and work practices. This post is based in Bacteriology Branch.
· Previous laboratory experience essential /driving license required
The main job functions are as follows:
- Using a range of equipment and working as part of a team to produce a Central Services Function recycling glassware and producing a wide range of microbiological media to the required standards.
- Laboratory upkeep (which includes waste disposal, monitoring and replenishment of stock items, update of required paperwork and computer records, tidy/cleaning of work area and equipment)
- Possibility of providing holiday cover for another member of staff – this would involve a significant amount of lifting/manual handling as the duties of this post relate specifically to the delivery of items around VSD site, collection sterilisation and disposal of waste
- Other duties would include –routine checks of equipment, helping to schedule work and monitor throughput, completion of paperwork as required.
- Any other duties as required
Please note that in-house training will be provided.
The post may involve the handing of potential infectious materials. Staff may be required to undergo occupational vaccination according to the nature of the work being undertaken. Personal Protective Equipment and relevant training will be provided.
Experience of scientific field work.
2 GCSEs including Maths and English (must have certificate proof)
– £10.94ph (weekly)
Duration Of Placement:
– 3 months (with possible extension)
– 9am – 5pm
Hours Per Week:
To apply please send your CV via the link or email Isaac.Jones@therecruitmentco.uk